There is anger in Karnataka following the Cauvery tribunal verdict. This is understandable, but what isnt is the propensity to blank out Tamil Channels for any disturbance in Karnataka. Be it Dr. Raj being kidnapped or one of the various protests in this Cauvery debate, the cable operators in Karnataka seem to think that blanking out Tamil channels is a way to protest against Tamils. If the occassion has nothing to do with Tamils in particular, like Dr. Raj passing away, then it is blanking out of all non-kannada channels. This is not just misplaced anger but a serious assault on an individual’s right to information. The whole of yesterday, for instance, I could not get the real picture of security in Bangalore because all of the famed 24×7 english channels were fixed on Dilip Vengsarakar’s wife opening up a jewellery store and Sanju baba appearing in Tada court. The Kannada news channels carried a complete coverage of the Cauvery dispute, but of what fun is it to watch news without knowing what is being spoken?
Tamil TV Channels off air
By TBM Admin on February 7, 2007 in Uncategorized
- It’s money that matters in China-UK’s new found love October 29, 2015
- Do you have change? October 14, 2015
- Bolstering military abilities in Indian Ocean Region October 5, 2015
- India’s security relationships in Indian Ocean region September 19, 2015
- IITs should be role models in university politics June 6, 2015
- Tamil TV Channels off air February 7, 2007
- Surveys December 2, 2006
- Importing fundamentalism January 29, 2007
- Partisan Sun TV? February 8, 2007
- Bangalore’s space problem February 9, 2007
- Hina: I have known Raju since 1976 and helped him in wha...
- Lucy Roberts: great use of words in the writing, it in reality d...
- Abhay Shivgounda Patil: Thanks for reviewing at length the short book by L...
- Archives of the Old Wonk | The Old Wonk: […] Store in India […]...
- Jijin: There's an interesting read about the direction (...
The opinions expressed are those of the respective authors and do not represent the position of the Takshashila Institution